CAN I SEE A CLINICIAN WITHOUT A REFERRAL?
You do not need a referral to access psychological services at Approach Psychology. However, if you are interested in seeking a rebate through Medicare, please click on the ‘Fees and Rebates’ button below.
Do I really need therapy?
We recommend that individuals seek therapy if they feel as though the emotional or psychological difficulties they are experiencing begin to impact on their functioning in daily life (either at work, during study, socially or in relationships). The difficulties don’t need to be extreme or chronic for clients to benefit from psychological help. If you are unsure whether or not you should seek help, please feel free to contact us and our friendly reception staff will answer your questions.
What is the difference between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist?
Psychologists and Psychiatrists both work in the area of mental health; however, there are some important differences:
- Psychologists’ university training focusses specifically on understanding human behaviour, and on the assessment and treatment of psychological problems. Psychologists are not able to prescribe medication (although they often work with clients who are on medication).
- Psychiatrists have medical degrees with specialist qualifications in psychiatry. As such, they are able to prescribe medication and some combine this with other forms of therapy.
Where to go for Emergency Help
Please note that we are not able to offer crisis services.
If you feel at risk of suicide or of harming yourself (or someone you care about is at risk), please immediately call
- The NSW Mental Health Line on 1800 011511
- Northern Sydney Central Coast Area Health Service Mental Health hotline on 1300 302 980
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- The Police Dept. on 000, who can direct you to an appropriate mental health service.
Alternatively, please go to the emergency department of your closest hospital. The hospitals nearest to Gordon are:
- Hornsby Kuring-gai Hospital – Palmerston Road, Hornsby, Ph: 02 9477 9530
- Royal North Shore Hospital – 1 Reserve Road, St Leonards, Ph: 02 9926 7111
- Sydney Adventist Hospital – 185 Fox Valley Way, Wahroonga, Ph: 02 9487 9000